1 Feb 2010
Exclusive to Asia MJ Gallery at Ponte 16 Grand Opening Macau unveils 40-plus Michael Jackson treasures
International pop diva Coco Lee, “Britain’s Got Talent” finalist Shaheen Jafargholi and hundreds of fans celebrate the Grand Opening
(MACAU, 1 February 2010) – Against the glowing light of Macau’s historic Inner Harbour District, the magic of Michael Jackson (“MJ”) was revived by a passionate troupe of fans, celebrities, music artistes and Asia’s glitterati tonight. Pop diva Coco Lee and “Britain’s Got Talent” finalist Shaheen Jafargholi stirred the crowd into a festive mood as they celebrated the opening of MJ Gallery at Ponte 16 (“The Gallery”).
Officiating at the Opening Ceremony were Mr. Cheong U, Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture of the Macau Special Administrative Region, Eng. João M. Costa Antunes, Director of Macau Government Tourist Office, Dr. Ambrose So, Chairman of Ponte 16, Macau and Mr. SonnyYeung, Chief Executive Officer of Ponte 16, Macau. Together with Coco Lee and Shaheen Jafargholi, they officially unveiled MJ Gallery at Ponte 16, the first of its kind in Asia.
Ponte 16, which also celebrated its Second Anniversary tonight, opened the MJ Gallery at Ponte 16 to bring to life some of the megastar’s most iconic moments through a powerful exhibition of rare and genuine mementos. Hundreds of MJ fans flocked to the Grand Opening at the world-class integrated casino-entertainment resort.
“The MJ Gallery at Ponte 16 adds to the many reasons for visitors to come and enjoy Ponte 16, the only resort destination in Macau’s historic Inner Harbour District. It is a great example of Macau’s ability to offer visitors innovative attractions against the backdrop of a city of unique culture and history, of interaction of East and West,” said Dr. Ambrose So.
“Tonight’s opening is the perfect way to celebrate Ponte 16’s Second Anniversary. At Ponte 16 we are always committed to providing unique travel and entertainment experiences for our guests. The MJ Gallery at Ponte 16 surely fulfills this commitment by providing an exclusive home in Asia for these MJ treasures and a new attraction for tourists from around the world,” added Mr. Sonny Yeung.
The international pop diva Coco Lee opened the show at the Piazza of Ponte 16 and then was joined by 13-year-old singing sensation Shaheen Jafargholi, performing “You’ve Got A Friend”. The only Asian artiste to have multiple top three singles in the MTV Asia Hitlist, Coco Lee proudly dedicated the song to MJ of whom she was a friend and admirer. Shaheen Jafargholi, who won a standing ovation from the audience at the finals of Britain’s Got Talent 2009 as he sang “Who’s Lovin’ You” made famous by the Jackson 5, and was invited to perform with MJ in his “This Is It” series of London concerts originally scheduled in July 2009, followed with a spectacular performance. Also joining the celebration were pop singers such as Khalil Fong, Louis Cheung and the band Mr.
At 9 pm the Gallery opened its doors to the public, marking the launch of the Asia exclusive experience for visitors to Ponte 16 and to Macau.
ABOUT THE MJ GALLERY AT PONTE 16
Themed sections of the Gallery include:
Time Tunnel: a journey through the most important moments of MJ’s music life
“Billie Jean”: featuring scenes from the famous “Billie Jean” music video
Main Exhibition Hall: a showcase of MJ’s iconic items
Ponte 16 Gift Gallery: where visitors can take home special MJ souvenirs, exclusive to Ponte 16
Major collection items include:
- The white rhinestone glove worn by MJ for his moonwalk debut in 1983 as he performed what was known to be one of recent history’s greatest songs “Billie Jean”
- The “Zombie” suit worn by MJ for “Thriller” on MTV
- A pair of crystal socks made by Bill Whitten and worn by MJ for his "Victory" Tour in 1984
- The RIAA platinum record award for “Bad” signed by MJ, bearing his handwritten words “Thanx All My Love, 1998. Michael Jackson”
- Moonwalk, an autobiography published in 1989 in which Jackson shares thoughts about many of his famous friends
- The “We Are The World” collection, which includes a signed poster by MJ and other musicians, and the 3x Platinum RIAA Award for the LP
- A collection of autographed records and photographs of MJ
ABOUT PONTE 16, MACAU
Ponte 16, Macau is a joint venture between Sociedade de Jogos de Macau, S.A. (a subsidiary of the Hong Kong-listed SJM Holdings Limited - SEHK 0880) and Success Universe Group Limited (a Hong Kong listed company - SEHK 0487). Ponte 16 is a world-class integrated casino-entertainment resort, located at the Inner Harbour in Macau. Phase I and Phase II, opened in 2008, comprise a five-star luxury hotel Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16, a casino and restaurants. Phase III will feature an entertainment & recreation complex housing a wide variety of retail shops and entertainment facilities.
- Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture of the Macau SAR Mr. Cheong U, (left 3), Director of Macau Government Tourist Office Eng. João M. Costa Antunes (right 3), Chairman of Ponte 16, Macau Dr. Ambrose So (left 2), CEO Mr. Sonny Yeung (right 2), Ms. Coco Lee (left 1) and Mr. Shaheen Jafargholi (right 1) officially unveiled MJ Gallery at Ponte 16.
- Coco Lee (Left 2) and Shaheen Jafargholi (right 2) joined Chairman Dr. Ambrose So (left 3) and CEO Mr. Sonny Yeung (right 3), Deputy CEO Dr. Hoffman Ma (left 1) of Ponte 16, Macau, and Mr. Michele Molliet, Vice President Sofitel Greater China (right 1) for a tour of MJ Gallery at Ponte 16.
- Chairman Dr. Ambrose So (middle), CEO Mr. Sonny Yeung (left 1), and Deputy CEO Dr. Hoffman Ma (right 1) of Ponte 16, Macau welcomed Coco Lee (right 2), and Shaheen Jafargholi (right 2) at the red carpet reception.
Hill & Knowlton
Carol Mak / Christy Lee
Telephone: (852) 2894 6283 / (852) 2894 6254